Halloween is almost upon us and while this wonderfully spooky holiday is all fun and games for humans, it can be rough on our canine companions. Here are five tips for keeping your dog safe this Hallows’ Eve.
We’re all aware that chocolate — in all forms — can be very dangerous for dogs. However, candies containing the artificial sweetener xylitol can also cause problems. Small amounts of xylitol can cause a sudden drop in blood sugar which leads to loss of coordination and seizures.
Keep Halloween candy well out of reach of your dogs at all times. If you think your dog may have consumed chocolate or xylitol, call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.
If you enjoy decorating your home for Halloween, be extra cautious when placing candles and Jack-O-Lanterns. Dogs can easily be burned or singed by candle flames – or worse, knock a lit pumpkin over and cause a fire.
If you plan on dressing your dog, make …